[NEW UPDATE] Conqust Mode - 1.6.2.440.42449

Started by pogosan, Mar 16, 2017, 12:58 pm

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

pogosan

After a week of testing, a new conquest game mode is now officially released! We'll be continuing to tweak and improve the mode by adding new mechanics and balancing numbers like respawn time, but would much appreciate your feedback on its first version!

The new conquest encourages team play and communication by allowing you to choose your own objectives and priorities, and makes gameplay much more dynamic, since team members can choose to spawn on captured flags, and immediately rush into a battle.

With new artists joining the team, we're finally able to work on visual and sound assets. Our first goal will be to get rid of the current User Interface, which is inconvenient to work with, and add a new unique design to make gaming experience memorable even while scrolling through menus.

Tell us what you think about the new game mode, and expect more updates coming soon!
my twitter I post random stuff, OKAM included
OKAM twitter I don't post random stuff, only OKAM

Ramses

Gotta say I'm very pleased with how the rollout of the latest update went. You gave updates and sneakpeaks on discord, then proceeded to make an open testing through the nightly version, announced in due time so everybody could make it. During this nightly testing, you were actively asking for feedback and seemed to really process and implement when the community provided you with it.

Second, the new hiring of more devs shows the commitment of the company to keep Okam going. I think we were all afraid you were gonna dump it down the drain, but this is the most solid and concrete proof that you are not giving up.

Keep up the good work

Partizan_Rusi

Mar 16, 2017, 02:11 pm Last Edit: Mar 16, 2017, 02:19 pm by Partizan_Rusi
Conquest now looks much better without stage 2 bs. It now resemble proper game mode where you can use your brain more, to win.
About map - M. Its good overview and I able to see enemies running on this view.
Maybe you shouldn't be able to see enemies everywhere and spy their every move. Tracking teammates is fine.

Also you men should make Fullscreen mode so people can record it with Shadowplay. Yes I can't record it with working shadowplay version and it works fine in other games. I think my shadowplay can't catch it because its window mode or something else. Ofc there is newer nvidia shit, but its just doesn't work.

Siegbert

Quote from: Partizan_Rusi on Mar 16, 2017, 02:11 pmMaybe you shouldn't be able to see enemies everywhere and spy their every move. Tracking teammates is fine.
I'd say it should be a proper tactical map (maybe a drawn one). Not just the camera from above.

Partizan_Rusi

Mar 17, 2017, 10:21 am Last Edit: Mar 17, 2017, 10:27 am by Partizan_Rusi
Quote from: Siegbert on Mar 17, 2017, 09:53 am
Quote from: Partizan_Rusi on Mar 16, 2017, 02:11 pmMaybe you shouldn't be able to see enemies everywhere and spy their every move. Tracking teammates is fine.
I'd say it should be a proper tactical map (maybe a drawn one). Not just the camera from above.
It have excellent transition effect from death to map. So its fine.

Siegbert

You could do the same same thing while blending in the 2D map.

KM313

i am not really a fan of the new conquest.
at first there is the flag spawn. i guess the reason is that is takes less time to get into the battle.
my issue here is, i have to kill an opponent, then i have to kill him again on my way to the flag again and then a few times more at the flag itself.

this brings me to the second point, the cap timer is a way too long. it takes ages before a flag is uncontested and you still can spawn while an enemy is present at the flag.
this promotes only spawncamping.

now some general rant.
for example the layout of the new map.

a lot of artificial barriers, no direct ways to the flags and the map objectives are some random rocks.

another ugly screenshot with some random vegetables on the ground

furthermore, the hitdetection is still quite ramdom. hits do not connect, a lot of ghots range attacks, blocks do not work.

heavy armour is too effective or has too less downsides.
i know armour was great in real life that is why it was used.
ingame it is not that much fun, at least for me. nearly every one has the same outfit, even archers wear a great helmet and plated armour.
well then, a few numbers. i wear light armour (my fault), i have 9 points in hp (it needs 1 - 2 hits to kill me, 3 if i am lucky) 16 points in strenght ( i need at least 6 hits to kill an heavy armoured enemy, if i am lucky. most of the time it is 7+ hits) 24 points in running speed (i move a tiny bit faster than the guys in the plated armour).
i have tried 30 points in strenght for a while, but there was no difference.
what is the point in light and medium armour when there is no reason to use it?

pogosan

Quote from: KM313 on Mar 20, 2017, 08:00 pmi am not really a fan of the new conquest.
at first there is the flag spawn. i guess the reason is that is takes less time to get into the battle.
my issue here is, i have to kill an opponent, then i have to kill him again on my way to the flag again and then a few times more at the flag itself.
We wanted to keep regular updates coming, so, as many players previously suggested, released only the first version instead of waiting until it's 100% finished. There are still things that need to be added, and dealing with instant "on flag" spawns is one of them (hate it myself tbh)

Quotethis brings me to the second point, the cap timer is a way too long. it takes ages before a flag is uncontested and you still can spawn while an enemy is present at the flag.
this promotes only spawncamping.
There is a capturing speed multiplier for every attacker in a flag's area. Basically, if you rush with your whole team and kill all enemies on flag once, there's only a little chance they'll be able to spawn quickly enough. Teams with only one captured flag have a slight advantage because they only have 3 seconds additional respawn time though. Will most likely also improve with tweaked spawning ^^^

Quotenow some general rant.
for example the layout of the new map.
The problem with maps is that they were designed for the old conquest. Will be either changing current maps to work better with running from flag to flag or make completely new ones. Or both.

Quotefurthermore, the hitdetection is still quite ramdom. hits do not connect, a lot of ghots range attacks, blocks do not work.
Yeah, there are a lot of those reports for a long time. Haven't been working on the combat with the new team yet, so might take some time to go deep into it. Will have to fix it for sure.

Quoteheavy armour is too effective or has too less downsides.
Quotewhat is the point in light and medium armour when there is no reason to use it?
There are already some plans to both tweak character stats and make light/medium armor more usable. The goal is to make medium armor a well balanced and most used type, keep heavy armor for strength oriented players, and make light armor useful for fast 1h spammers players. And, well, once perks are in, they should also create more diversity in equipment/builds.

Partizan_Rusi

Mar 20, 2017, 09:54 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2017, 05:10 pm by Partizan_Rusi
Team balance should sort players by their levels at least. Only today there was few times when teams were stacked.  Like team of veterans 50 lvl against complete noobs in padded and mail. It looked atrocious. Players of 49-50 levels are completely different class from 1-20.
When fixing ghost hits and progression should come fist and don't forget about shields.

pogosan

Quote from: Partizan_Rusi on Mar 20, 2017, 09:54 pmTeam balance should sort players by their levels at least. Only today there was few times when teams were stacked.  Like team of veterans 50 lvl agains complete noobs in padded and mail. It looked atrocious. Players of 49-50 levels are completely different class from 1-20.
Yeah, I agree. Will add a simple auto team balance in the next patch (it's on nightly right now), but will have to eventually come up with a serious algorithm to determine who's a more valuable player to switch.

Berzemus

Likey:
  • Mobile front-line, organic, messy combat. Good !
  • More interesting, micro-missions: Hey, there's one guy going for that flag where we don't care to spawn, you two, GO!
  • Shorter respawn, no time wasted with "no lives left for this round"

Don't likey:
  • Short respawn time's are good, but I've seen players just re-spawning after a skirmish to start fresh again

Suggestions:
  • Restore some health while capping ? Or maybe while adopting a special "resting" position ? Or going back to spawn point (// staying @ capped flag ) ?
  • Sparks !
  • This is hard, but we could use some diversity. Small changes in looks, without any effects, and keeping it real
  • XP bonus for defending a flag ?

Partizan_Rusi

Quote from: Berzemus on Mar 21, 2017, 01:31 pmDon't likey:
  • Short respawn time's are good, but I've seen players just re-spawning after a skirmish to start fresh again

I do this freqently because when you got low or even half hp and run into veteran, its suicide most of the time.  Then you must run whole distance again.  At least with full hp you have better chance to do some damage and scratch most of tanks.

Slow regeneration of health could be good feature, but it needs some action like "press R for bandaging" to get you out of combat for some time.

Berzemus

Quote from: Partizan_Rusi on Mar 21, 2017, 05:19 pmI do this freqently because [...]
I know, it was you I was refering to..   8)

Izazu

Quote from: Berzemus on Mar 21, 2017, 01:31 pmShort respawn time's are good, but I've seen players just re-spawning after a skirmish to start fresh again

This could be something for the actual skirmish mode.
Quicks capping with few people on skirmish, say 3x faster than on conquest, but also quick 5 second respawns.

Then for conquest, the same cap speed, but respawns upped to 10 or 15 seconds for the 'field' respawns A, B and C, so you don't just pop up during the cap again after getting killed. However, put 2-3 seconds for the home base respawn.
That'll add a bit of tactical thinking to the conquest mode aswell, because you can wait for that field respawn, or get into the game right away, but have to leg it to a spawn point first.

Berzemus

Quote from: Izazu on Mar 21, 2017, 06:07 pmhat'll add a bit of tactical thinking to the conquest mode aswell, because you can wait for that field respawn, or get into the game right away, but have to leg it to a spawn point first.
Love that ! Wanna spawn ? WALK !

Go Up