Ultimate game fix, ultimately how to get players and ultimate reviews on Steam

Started by 🅱️rocc, Jan 08, 2017, 11:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

🅱️rocc

Jan 08, 2017, 11:04 PM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 12:00 AM by fat cheese
Game needs to be more arcade. I don't like it, and many cRPG nerds vets don't like it either, but OKAM needs arcade stuff and ear/eye candy because that's what most players subconciously like. There need to be things that would tend to our inner autist, things like:
  • Hitmarkers. Not your typical CoD cross thingy, but a bubble popping somewhere, telling you how much damage you did with that hit. Also different colours for different types of damage, just like in War of The Roses.
  • XP feedback. There already is the little area with messages that tell you when you kill someone or score an assist. But that's not enough, there needs to be a sound effect for each message, and the messages need to be redesigned to look more appealing.
  • A summary at the end of each round/match with stats and an erecting XP bar, so you can clearly see how much grind you did.
  • Health bars above allies. 100% serious.
  • Unrealistic, but pleasant sounds. Swords need to clang and ding when they collide, axes need to do a loud THWACK! when they hit a shield and so on.
  • Lots of numbers, everywhere. Nerds and geeks like numbers.
  • Unrealistic, but clear animations. I appreciate DC's effort put into making animations with motion capture, and as realistic as the animations are, (inb4 T-Rex arms) they're not very aesthetically appealing. They should be much more exaggerated, so that people can see clearly which attack the opponent is doing, in which phase of the attack he's in, and so on. In short, telegraphing.
  • Ability to inspect equipment from up close. Kinda like you can take a look at every item in Skyrim from the inventory. OKAM has beautiful models and textures, it's a shame we can only see them from afar.
  • Add the ability to have alts. This is the main reason why I'm not playing OKAM. I'm just bored and tired of playing the same build all the time. And respec points don't help. People want to quickly switch back and forth between builds and characters, not completely rebuild their main every time.
  • Clans and heraldic armor. Hurr unrealistic, only rich people had banners yada yada. Imagine cRPG without your tryhard clan's emblem on your guy's chest.
  • Abandon 13th century. Don't deny your craving for plate armour and big ass swords. Give in to your desires.
  • More skills and perks with more effect (again unrealistic, but fun). cRPG had plenty of things you could put your points in, and even then you were limited with M&B's engine. Now you have your own engine, the sky is your limit, and the game only has what, six skills?

Look at successful games of similar genre - they all have nice interface and HUD. They not only have good core mechanics, but also the ability to present those mechanics and assets.

-CM-

Sparvico

Quote from: fat cheese on Jan 08, 2017, 11:04 PM
  • Unrealistic, but clear animations. I appreciate DC's effort put into making animations with motion capture, and as realistic as the animations are, (inb4 T-Rex arms) they're not very aesthetically appealing. They should be much more exaggerated, so that people can see clearly which attack the opponent is doing, in which phase of the attack he's in, and so on. In short, telegraphing.
Honestly I think, for all of the ridiculousness that you can pull out of it, Warband does this the absolute best of any medieval combat game I've ever played. I think I've played basically all of them too. There's no need to carbon copy mount and blade combat, but making it feel similar (with less gimmicks) is a much much safer bet.

Warband basically set the standard for medieval combat games, then all these other games tried to follow/innovate/copy it's success, and basically all of them failed. I really hope it's not to late for OKaM to avoid that fate.

🅱️rocc

Jan 09, 2017, 09:23 PM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 09:25 PM by fat cheese
About health bars:
The health system is already unrealistic and kinda unimmersive ("gotta stay back because one hit will take me out"). It's a bit of a compromise because it allows for easy adjustment of weapon stats and balancing at the sake of immersion. Having no health bars above allies is trying to hide this compromise. I suppose sooner or later there will be a way to see other players' health, like the bloodied armors in Chivalry.

But there is one thing which I think no other game has gotten right, and which could seriously improve OKAM's reception. That thing is the blood and pain system. No health whatsoever, only a certain amount of blood and a threshold of pain. Cutting weapons would cause bleeding while also dealing a bit of pain and possibly cripple limbs, while blunt would be mostly used to cripple and cause pain, axes and such are somewhere inbetween.
Bleeding can be stopped or minimized by applying bandages, but it also slowly reduces over time on its own. As your blood level decreases, your strength also drops causing you to deal less damage, move slower, and have slower stamina regeneration (if it's going to be in the game), until you faint or die.
Pain reduces your combat capability in similar fashion, but you can't die from pain, only collapse or faint after going above a certain threshold, possibly getting up to fight after a while. It should also reduce on its own. You could prepare for pain before the battle by drinking alcohol for example, or using other consumables. The downside is that they would reduce your combat effectiveness.
Having blood, pain, and crippling instead of health opens up many possibilities for skills and perks too - you could have perks that increase your blood level, slow down bleeding, make you more resistant to pain, give you good bones, etc.

Of course there is a reason why no other game has done it right, and that's probably because it's difficult or takes a lot of resources to make it bug-free and retain good balance of equipment and skills. But if OKAM were the first to have a polished and balanced system like that, it could be - along with Epic - what "makes" the game and what gets lots of players.

Taser

Quote from: fat cheese on Jan 08, 2017, 11:04 PMAbandon 13th century. Don't deny your craving for plate armour and big ass swords. Give in to your desires.
This alone would do it but some of the other suggestions will help.

Absolutely disagree with hitmarkers and numbers popping up though. I don't think that's needed.

Biggest thing that would help is a workable epic that is more than moving on the map. That was the huge draw and with no real thing to work with in multiplayer you need players. Epic will help with that along with more armor, weapons and ways to customize them.

Quote from: Ephemeral on Jul 23, 2016, 12:21 AMand this is why we love taser more than his parents do

Gristle

I wouldn't mind some form of crosshair for ranged at least. They're trying too hard to make ranged immersive.

Mask

Some of these points are reasonable. But largely, this general direction will make OKAM blur in with the scenery of Tiger Knight and the many other existing arcadey sword games. The point of OKAM's genre is it's a bit of a niche thing, trying too hard for mass appeal gets you away from the genre that gave you success in the first place.

The points OKAM really needed were utterly simple. Fixed bugs, and balanced combat. We moved in the opposite direction several times, adding bugs and making balance more convoluted than ever, the high point being the absurd leveling system.

James

Just make it more like CRPG in every way. OP has entirely valid points. Heraldic banners and for fucks sake let us ride with friends already.

Our Father Chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.

Mask

Ride with friends in an open world? That's a tough call.

James

I suggest hiring the team of CRPG devs as paid consultants to help create the game.

Our Father Chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.

Mask

If they were willing to do that, they would've kept funding them. And, for now, several of them are apparently still attached to the project in some capacity, possibly as consultants.

Go Up