So we just had 50 people online tonight...

Started by Ramses, Jan 08, 2017, 09:10 pm

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

King Ferdnand

Quote from: Ramses on Jan 08, 2017, 09:10 pm... And it was great fun :).

Thanks to the other clans (notably TKM, showing up with a strong 15-20? guys) for making this happen! It was good to have a large melee and somewhat organised groups fighting.

We here in the Coalition like to try to throw something every weekend, so if any other clans out there wants to organize something just message me.

Now who took those screenshots?
I want to thank the Coalition for the great battle,

it was maybe the biggest group battle i have seen (after the party system release) in Okam and it was pure fun fighting in a "organized" way.

so, until the epic is out, TheKingsMen are always up for a battle. we love the combat in Okam and we keep on helping new player to get into the game (actually very hard after they die like flys^^)

With our best wishes from a barrak full of excited fighters in excellent humour looking forward to the developments ahead

Vibe

Quote from: Bobby on Jan 11, 2017, 11:51 amThere is nothing to defend. System is cool but is diffrent right? it is not like warband and its bad right? I just get sick when I hear that argument.

It's not bad because it's different than Warband, it's bad because it just plays worse. Clunky and slower controls/movement, "one button does everything" that works more against the game than for it. The funny thing is even cRPG was like that compared to Warband already, OKAM just takes it one step deeper into garbage.

Siegbert

Jan 11, 2017, 12:58 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2017, 01:03 pm by Siegbert
Quote from: Kadeth on Jan 11, 2017, 11:00 am
Quote from: Siegbert on Jan 11, 2017, 10:40 amwtf am I in the pic. I barely said anything in this thread.
..isn't it obvious? You're one of the only people on these forums that consistently defends oKaM's combat system.
I also criticize parts of it (shield mechanics most of all). I never said it was perfect or ground-breaking. The only thing I do consistently say is that I like the way 2h combat feels.
I guess I'm writing way more than other people in general which is why I got this somewhat fanboy reputation...

edit: lol, I didn't realize King Ferdnand has only 6 posts here. You must be the one player with the most hours ingame of us all (by far I would assume)

BrotherenSmoke

Yeah it's a great thing. We are getting more and more involved in OKAM, I think it's great for the player base :)

I think the NA side should do this too. But it seems like they aren't that organized, which is logical since their side of the ocean is pretty dead right now :)
[/quote]
It's a struggle, Trump will get rid of the joke that is EPIC now, they have some good ideas and he will keep some of them but he going to make the Epic right this time, he going to create epic thats unbelievable, trust me, he will have the bestest people working on it. lol

Ramses

Quote from: Vibe on Jan 11, 2017, 12:19 pmIt's not bad because it's different than Warband, it's bad because it just plays worse. Clunky and slower controls/movement, "one button does everything" that works more against the game than for it. The funny thing is even cRPG was like that compared to Warband already, OKAM just takes it one step deeper into garbage.
Not disagreeing, but you should perhaps play a little post December patch. They really sped up the game and attacks quite a bit.

@The fluid system haters: There is also nothing stopping you from playing Okam the Warband way: Always with locked stance. Nothing is forcing you to play with a fluid stance.

BrotherenSmoke

Quote from: Ramses on Jan 11, 2017, 02:59 pm
Quote from: Vibe on Jan 11, 2017, 12:19 pmIt's not bad because it's different than Warband, it's bad because it just plays worse. Clunky and slower controls/movement, "one button does everything" that works more against the game than for it. The funny thing is even cRPG was like that compared to Warband already, OKAM just takes it one step deeper into garbage.
Not disagreeing, but you should perhaps play a little post December patch. They really sped up the game and attacks quite a bit.

@The fluid system haters: There is also nothing stopping you from playing Okam the Warband way: Always with locked stance. Nothing is forcing you to play with a fluid stance.
can I like this 12 times? thank you!

Siegbert

Tried this once. I felt like I couldn't react as fast as I could with the fluid system. So if anything the fluid system makes combat quicker but less button mashy.

Ramses

Quote from: Siegbert on Jan 11, 2017, 03:09 pmTried this once. I felt like I couldn't react as fast as I could with the fluid system. So if anything the fluid system makes combat quicker but less button mashy.
To be clear, I'm not saying I prefer it. I'm just saying if you don't like Okam fluid system you can simply change it to always locked stance. There's no option to do that in Warband.

Gravoth

I still believe people simply has the warband combat etched hard into their brains, which makes considering how much time the average crpg player had played in that shit. But i think for those that are interested in the Epic, and will play more once its out will eventually adapt more to OKAMs system, and get a favorable opinion of it. It really isnt that bad, but it does force a different kind of playstyle.

Hopefully the rough edges will be fixed eventually though, thrusting and some swings just feel like they miss constantly. Can be worked around atm by just using the good swings, but its very inconvenient.

HESKEYTIME

The thing I miss about the native Warband mechanics was that there were 4 directions to use but most weapons only had one decent animation. It meant noobs had a 3-in-4 chance of hitting you with slow or ineffective animations, and a total of 3 incorrect directions to block when you come at them with a scimitar.

Nothing will ever beat this system, the illusion of choice... or as I like to call it 'the variety trap'.

Pollux

crpg combat, and warband in general feels so much better than okam because there's a greater dynamic of motion and fluidity that allows you to define your own fighting style that feels like freedom, and it makes 5v1s possible. I don't think crpg's combat system has come close to being mastered by anyone, but it still feels like there is a greater definition between the various skill levels. devs set out to make a better combat system, but it's just more attack and block directions. crpg's combat is better because it's not overly complex or realistic, its great gameplay, fun and rewarding.

Kadeth

Quote from: Siegbert on Jan 11, 2017, 12:58 pmI never said it was perfect or ground-breaking.
I'm pretty sure you've said it that it was on par with or better than Warband. Warband is pretty ground-breaking if you ask me.

Quote from: Ramses on Jan 11, 2017, 02:59 pmThere is also nothing stopping you from playing Okam the Warband way: Always with locked stance. Nothing is forcing you to play with a fluid stance.
Enabling stance lock doesn't suddenly make the game play like Warband, and personally I never wanted OKAM to be a Warband clone anyway, but I also wasn't hoping for the very restrictive combat system that we have now.

I agree with Siegbert; it doesn't feel as responsive with stance lock always on. There are situations where stance lock on is desirable and situations where it isn't. Having to manage another setting like this during combat is nonsensical.

Quote from: Gravoth on Jan 11, 2017, 03:22 pmI still believe people simply has the warband combat etched hard into their brains, which makes considering how much time the average crpg player had played in that shit.
I'm all for melee games trying new combat systems, but it's pretty clear to me that there's a lot more you can do with your attacks in Warband than you can in OKAM. All the feint combos, animation abuse, angling attacks freely etc. are missing in OKAM, and the result is a very low skill ceiling.

Siegbert

Quote from: Kadeth on Jan 11, 2017, 10:11 pmI'm pretty sure you've said it that it was on par with or better than Warband. Warband is pretty ground-breaking if you ask me.
I accepted Warband as the standard for this type of games and yes, I find OKAM more enjoyable. But not by much... I can see myself returning to Warband's system if it turns out that Okam will fail in the end.
Neither system is perfect. Warband was fun due to its reliable simplicity while Okam for me at least is the more challenging system that's harder to learn for noobs.

Gravoth

Quote from: Kadeth on Jan 11, 2017, 10:11 pmI'm all for melee games trying new combat systems, but it's pretty clear to me that there's a lot more you can do with your attacks in Warband than you can in OKAM. All the feint combos, animation abuse, angling attacks freely etc. are missing in OKAM, and the result is a very low skill ceiling.
I mean, theres so much i never considered in warband the first time playing it. I can see potential in OKAM, learning how to use stance lock properly mid fight, finding optimal feints, strafe swings etc. I think theres much yet to be explored, there just has to be incentive to play long enough for it to be discovered. Much like in speedruns, after ten years and more, glitches are still found to optimise runs.

Kadeth

Quote from: Gravoth on Jan 11, 2017, 11:10 pmI mean, theres so much i never considered in warband the first time playing it. I can see potential in OKAM, learning how to use stance lock properly mid fight, finding optimal feints, strafe swings etc. I think theres much yet to be explored, there just has to be incentive to play long enough for it to be discovered. Much like in speedruns, after ten years and more, glitches are still found to optimise runs.
Mechanical restrictions like not being able to angle side swings, point stabs at the sky etc. is what concerns me though - that freedom that you have with your attacks in Warband. I don't really have the incentive to spend time on a game that has limitations compared to similar games in the genre. But it's early access, I haven't lost hope yet.

Go Up