Modding Tools

Started by chadz, Jun 30, 2016, 12:32 am

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

HESKEYTIME

Quote from: Horns on Sep 23, 2016, 07:16 pm
Quote from: noshots00 on Sep 21, 2016, 07:19 pmAlso, and people might object but, I'd like to see a mod where you can fight with a mages staff.  You have full ability block and a couple fast (but weak) attacks, but some of your stances would cast parryable spells. 
You probably could but how long it would take to make depends entirely on what the preexisting code looks like. If they have things broken up nicely to where you could just copy paste the code from something like a bow and twist it into what you want than it would be far easier than having to write everything from scratch. Also, there are a lot of elitists on here who think realism is the end all be all so be careful with your fantasy shenanigans. However, I am a fan of fantasy shenanigans so something like this would be fun as hell. I like the cut of your jib m8.
I think everyone knows deep down that a fully realistic medieval game would not be all that fun. Certain 'classes' or 'styles' would just be better, and certain iconic armours and weapons only existed on the battlefield to be cost-effective not to offer some secret well-balanced benefit so that everyone could have fun.

The best example I can think of is feudal Japan. If the classes were 'Samurai' and 'drafted peasant scum' and the huge majority of players had to play as poorly armed, poorly trained peasants that probably didn't want to be on the battlefield in the first place and wouldn't survive very long compare to their well-trained overlords (to keep the proportions realistic), I think a lot of people would get sick of that game real quick.

Or totally realistic 100-years-war, 'Holy shit, my class is terrible, why is this even in the game?' 'Erm... cos you aren't well born or rich enough to play one of the classes that has decent armour and extensive training with melee weapons'

That being said, now that I've ridiculed the idea I kinda want games like that to exist.

Urist

I think playing a peasant would be fun. Even more if you get to kill weeaboos.

DefinetelyNotGolem

What about a mod by the 47 Ronin movie, as a DTV mod?

kinngrimm

After EA you may want to think of longer durations inbetween patches (not hotfixes) and enable always the last big patch(beta testing patch?) within steam so people could go back to that status. That would be needed for rather complex mods which can not only be adepted by changing the version number ^^.

Not sure i made myself clear there so from a diffferent angle.
If we have an option to roll back to a certain version of the game, like with the steam (RMB on game name, options, BETAS), which then should in the end include the released last versions of patches(not only the betas to test those versions), that then would enable modders and mod users to stay with one version for a longer time and  concentrate on progress within the mod instead of dragging the mod to a new game version all the time. Which surly also depends on the frequency of patches if such option would be indeed needed in the end.

HESKEYTIME

I wish 2 years ago I'd had the foresight to copy the files of cRPG in their entirety whilst Donkey Hood was available to everyone, and steal the entire concept to make my own mod that was just cRPG with Donkey Hood available to all.

If devs ever introduce a beloved item into OKAM and later remove it, I may attempt to correct my error. 'OKAM - this one item you miss seeing' mod.

full cheese

Will modding tools continue to be developed by the new team, or should we say goodbye to (easy) modding?
Dislike
I am a Kalashnikin.
I sexually identify as a soviet assault rifle.
My pronouns are pew pew, ratatata and blam blam.

pogosan

Quote from: full cheese on Feb 10, 2017, 12:45 pmWill modding tools continue to be developed by the new team, or should we say goodbye to (easy) modding?
Modding tools are basically the same tools used in development, they just need polishing and documentation.
my twitter I post random stuff, OKAM included
OKAM twitter I don't post random stuff, only OKAM

kinngrimm

Quote from: pogosan on Feb 10, 2017, 01:38 pm
Quote from: full cheese on Feb 10, 2017, 12:45 pmWill modding tools continue to be developed by the new team, or should we say goodbye to (easy) modding?
Modding tools are basically the same tools used in development, they just need polishing and documentation.
That did not quite answer the question though. So to be asked slightly different now.
Will those developing tools being polished and made publicly available?

pogosan

Quote from: kinngrimm on Feb 27, 2017, 05:25 amThat did not quite answer the question though. So to be asked slightly different now.
Not sure when some of them can be used by players, but they will have to be improved regardless, since they're used in development.
my twitter I post random stuff, OKAM included
OKAM twitter I don't post random stuff, only OKAM

kinngrimm

Quote from: pogosan on Feb 27, 2017, 08:58 am
Quote from: kinngrimm on Feb 27, 2017, 05:25 amThat did not quite answer the question though. So to be asked slightly different now.
Not sure when some of them can be used by players, but they will have to be improved regardless, since they're used in development.
Just a thought. Make them available now as they are, so you can get more precise input what we need and want. Does not matter if they are not yet truelly userfriendly. Some of us may be able to make heads and tales out of it. Those geeks then also may even provide content early on and give this game a needed boost in customer satisfaction.

In any case, the sooner this is ready, the sooner there will be content made by third parties without the devs interaction. A disclaimer also can tell moders that they still need to expect major changes and incompatibilities to future versions of such tool set.

Go Up