The Epic (Fail) Launch

Started by Thomek, Sep 02, 2016, 04:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Ikarooz

Why don´t you two just sort things out with a couple of duels like normal people do

you know, since the latest patch, dueling has become pretty nice actually
I said SLAY the dragon, not LAY the dragon.
You're a terrible knight.

Bendak Dagger Hero

Jan 07, 2017, 04:39 PM Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 04:46 PM by Bendak Dagger Hero
Quote from: Thomek on Sep 02, 2016, 04:40 AMFirst of all, sorry for the botched launch of The Epic. We experienced heavy server load - of course we anticipated that, but we've been trying to catch up with all issues. I really wanted to make everything right, release everything in time, which resulted in a very messed up result. You can check out The Epic Map, but I'll keep it paused for a bit longer to make sure this "Epic Fail" (thanks for whoever posted that in the forum, I feel it's quite adequate) doesn't happen again.

Right now, the whole crew needs a rest. It has been a difficult month for us with an insane workload. First Open Beta, then Gamescom, then a crazy launch that completely swamped us in work due to the huge number of incoming players. We thought we would get a soft start, but interest completely took off. We had to scale everything up, including our workload. Which is why we're taking things slower for a week to sort everything out and release things the proper way. I understand that some people are disappointed or annoyed by this, rightfully so, but the wellbeing of the team has to come first.

Also, as you probably noticed, we are idealistic and passionate with a very clear vision, but new to releasing a game. We're learning fast, but we're falling in many noob traps. The Epic Timer was a clear mistake, decided upon before we knew how many players we would have to support - even increasing the load and expectations to one point. Instead of doing the smart thing and openly delaying it for another week, we tried to make it somehow work despite our exhaustion.

So, in short, we'll keep patching things, as we should have done, release those features that are nearly ready, and get back to creating new elements when that is done. We hope you guys will bear with us while we're figuring those things out. It won't take long, promised.

Good night, see you tomorrow

/chadz
Oh herro!

Since it's now January 7th of 2017, and you have been feverishly working on this since your post on September 2nd of 2016, how is the relaunch going? I am a bit curious as to why the delay has been so long, considering only a one week delay was deemed necessary to fix "The Epic".

I and the other purveyors of this forum await with baited breath.

Sincerely,

Bendak Dagger Hero

Asstrails Best Trails!

DefinetelyNotGolem

Quote from: Ikarooz on Dec 17, 2016, 12:45 AMyou know, since the latest patch, dueling has become pretty nice actually
Yes. Better jedi duels than Bear Force II

Bendak Dagger Hero

Quote from: Thomek on Sep 02, 2016, 04:40 AMFirst of all, sorry for the botched launch of The Epic. We experienced heavy server load - of course we anticipated that, but we've been trying to catch up with all issues. I really wanted to make everything right, release everything in time, which resulted in a very messed up result. You can check out The Epic Map, but I'll keep it paused for a bit longer to make sure this "Epic Fail" (thanks for whoever posted that in the forum, I feel it's quite adequate) doesn't happen again.

Right now, the whole crew needs a rest. It has been a difficult month for us with an insane workload. First Open Beta, then Gamescom, then a crazy launch that completely swamped us in work due to the huge number of incoming players. We thought we would get a soft start, but interest completely took off. We had to scale everything up, including our workload. Which is why we're taking things slower for a week to sort everything out and release things the proper way. I understand that some people are disappointed or annoyed by this, rightfully so, but the wellbeing of the team has to come first.

Also, as you probably noticed, we are idealistic and passionate with a very clear vision, but new to releasing a game. We're learning fast, but we're falling in many noob traps. The Epic Timer was a clear mistake, decided upon before we knew how many players we would have to support - even increasing the load and expectations to one point. Instead of doing the smart thing and openly delaying it for another week, we tried to make it somehow work despite our exhaustion.

So, in short, we'll keep patching things, as we should have done, release those features that are nearly ready, and get back to creating new elements when that is done. We hope you guys will bear with us while we're figuring those things out. It won't take long, promised.

Good night, see you tomorrow

/chadz
Hi Thomek!

Did you see my comment on January 7th? I know it was on a Saturday but was hoping to have a response from you by now.

I have been constantly refreshing this page since September 2nd and I must confess the carpal tunnel is starting to take a toll on me. The physical pain, while agonizing and excruciating, is nothing to the mental anguish that has befallen me due to this prolonged delay of "The Epic".

My spirits on the other hand have never been higher!!! Thinking of all the glorious features that will have been added during these additional months of development time causes my heart to leap and the blood flow to my manhood increase (at quite an alarming rate to be honest) substantially!!!

I will continue to refresh this page diligently for the glorious day of your reply!

Faithfully yours,

Bendak Dagger Hero  
Asstrails Best Trails!

pogosan

Quote from: Bendak Dagger Hero on Jan 07, 2017, 04:39 PMI am a bit curious as to why the delay has been so long, considering only a one week delay was deemed necessary to fix "The Epic".
Once Epic was launched it was possible to spawn and create an army and peasants even after movement was paused. Thomek posted it before chadz discovered a flaw that made him remove a whole piece of the mode and redesign it. And yes, as sad as it may sound, it was noticed only after players started building castles and spawning thousands of troops.

Bendak Dagger Hero

Quote from: pogosan on Jan 11, 2017, 07:49 PM
Quote from: Bendak Dagger Hero on Jan 07, 2017, 04:39 PMI am a bit curious as to why the delay has been so long, considering only a one week delay was deemed necessary to fix "The Epic".
Once Epic was launched it was possible to spawn and create an army and peasants even after movement was paused. Thomek posted it before chadz discovered a flaw that made him remove a whole piece of the mode and redesign it. And yes, as sad as it may sound, it was noticed only after players started building castles and spawning thousands of troops.
Pogosan I love you and know that you have been put into a shite situation here, but this information shouldn't be coming from you. I refuse to allow Donkey Crew to get away with leaving you out to dry by your lonesome and have to deal with a justifiably pissed off community. A pissed off community that is exacerbated by their deafening silence on this forum.

We have heard nothing from these devs or Chadz since September of last year. All these months of forum members politely and patiently requesting/waiting for new information from them has resulted in nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Welp it's a new year and I intend to get this ball rolling for better or worse.

I shall continue to meme and shit post until we get concrete information from the donkey's mouth about the direction of this game and I encourage the other members of this forum to do the same.

Asstrails Best Trails!

Spartacus

I am the only one who is patient enough to just wait for the Epic? Sure I want it to but I also want Half Life 3 (prob I will wait till the end of my days) and Bonerlord (which was as you all know announced 4 years ago). Sure it is no fun to wait, but I am still excited enough to wait. And shitposting has never helped.

Grumbs

TBH I don't want Epic as much as I want to know that it is still in the pipeline. I just want to know why they are so silent about it. It makes me worried about the future of the project. Is it broken beyond repair?

Show us some progress reports. A couple screenshots. Proof that Chadz, cmp, Ser, Jacko etc still work at Donkey Crew. They kinda threw Pogo's good PR away with the long absence, and Pogo never really mentioned anything to do with what Chadz/Epic since they started those daily updates

Siegbert

Jan 14, 2017, 04:08 PM Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 04:11 PM by Siegbert
Omg, you're right. Bannerlord was announced in 2012 and back then I actually thought it would come out within a year or two. They sure take their time.

Quote from: Grumbs on Jan 14, 2017, 04:08 PMTBH I don't want Epic as much as I want to know that it is still in the pipeline. I just want to know why they are so silent about it.
Isn't it obvious? After all the shit their "fan" are giving them they want to keep expectations low and only say something when it's almost done.
Can't say I agree with it but I'm pretty sure it's the reason.

Grumbs

Jan 14, 2017, 04:14 PM Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 04:30 PM by Grumbs
I think they can keep expectations low while providing some info. It would at least keep the "its a scam" type accusations at bay, which Steam is awash with atm. Their public image is really bad right now

Theres a huge difference between promising something and not delivering it and then not saying a word about it, and promising something, not delivering it but offering explanations and evidence that what they've promised is possibly coming in the future. What they should have done is said "Look Epic is fubared atm. We will work on it and tell you more about it in November. It won't necessarily be ready to play then but we will tell you more about our progress" Then November comes and they can still offer some explanations and keep people happy regardless of their progress. Not saying a word is not an option unless they want really bad publicity. People bought the game with what Donkey had presented in videos and said in interviews. People have a right to some info or they will be correct to call them out on the bs. Can you prove that its not a scam? They took people's money under false pretenses atm and have offered no explanation. I trust Chadz and the Donkey's so I know its not a scam, but people are correct to call them out at this point

Its amateurish and unprofessional

Siegbert

Jan 14, 2017, 05:36 PM Last Edit: Jan 14, 2017, 05:40 PM by Siegbert
Yeah, I agree. The way I see it we (the people who bought it) are the clients and they provide a service.
In my professional life I have made sure that whenever I can't meet a deadline I will tell my clients in advance. And they were okay with it (mostly).

It's when deadlines are never met and no information is given that the client would freak out and feel scammed. It's basic logic.
Idk why they wouldn't every once in a while give an honest update and say how long they think it will take them to deliver certain features... Right around the start of EA they did quite well. Now, I can't take their side anymore.

Unless (conspiracy theory) their producer for whatever reason doesn't want them to talk. But from what I hear that has always been the devs' style back in cRPG.

Kadeth

Quote from: Spartacus on Jan 14, 2017, 04:03 PMI am the only one who is patient enough to just wait for the Epic? Sure I want it to but I also want Half Life 3 (prob I will wait till the end of my days) and Bonerlord (which was as you all know announced 4 years ago). Sure it is no fun to wait, but I am still excited enough to wait. And shitposting has never helped.
Imagine if every few days TaleWorlds told us that Bonerlord was coming "soon". Or if Gabe made a countdown timer for Half Life 3. And then fucking nothing.

Of course people are becoming impatient and frustrated. Some people have unrealistic expectations for EA games, however Donkey Crew's PR leaves a lot to be desired.

James

SOON™

December 2010©

Just wait for the weekly devblog®

Our Father Chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.

Spartacus

Quote from: Kadeth on Jan 15, 2017, 10:22 PM
Quote from: Spartacus on Jan 14, 2017, 04:03 PMI am the only one who is patient enough to just wait for the Epic? Sure I want it to but I also want Half Life 3 (prob I will wait till the end of my days) and Bonerlord (which was as you all know announced 4 years ago). Sure it is no fun to wait, but I am still excited enough to wait. And shitposting has never helped.
Imagine if every few days TaleWorlds told us that Bonerlord was coming "soon". Or if Gabe made a countdown timer for Half Life 3. And then fucking nothing.

Of course people are becoming impatient and frustrated. Some people have unrealistic expectations for EA games, however Donkey Crew's PR leaves a lot to be desired.
Youve got a point. It is very unfortunate to say something comes out soon and then wait many months.
I expect chadz (or the Donkeys in general) to clear things up as soon as they return with good stuff

Sandersson Jankins

hey guys is it done yet?

Go Up